Will

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Newts abound in NH and I remember the day I took this photo quite well - they were all over the forest floor and I had to be very careful about where I walked so as not to squish one. They are tiny - maybe 2 inches from snout to tail tip - and very fast at times. Of all the photos I’ve taken of them (dozens of dozens) this might be my favorite because it shows how big the rest of the world is for them. This little one didn’t let the giant root stop it though, it climbed right up and over.

Specific Feedback

This re-processing is a bit more subtle in color and contrast than my original from 2011. While they are very bright orange, I hope this doesn’t feel overdone. Also is the background/environment too much? Should I darken more or even blur it? And yes, I know the settings are wrong and I shouldn’t have overexposed this much. I done learned better now.

Technical Details

Handheld with the camera basically right on the ground, a place it frequently is.

Lightroom for everything including a slight vignette, color and contrast adjustments as well as some work in the color panel to massage things. Topaz Sharpen brought up details and knocked back noise.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

A wonderful scene from a challenging perspective for this little guy, Kris. I can truthfully say, I’ve never seen one of these before that I can recall. A truly interesting little colorful salamander. Can’t say too much for their camouflage protection overall… :cowboy_hat_face:
I might turn the gamma down slightly to see if that helps with overall “intensity” of the exposure. Just a thought… :thinking:

This little fellow is super cool, Kris. Wish we had one this gaudy around here. Our only Newt in the Northwest is the Rough-skinned and it’s pretty nondescript, though some of the salamanders are colorful.

I like the perspective in this image and your processing looks good to my eye. I could see subduing the background a bit more, but it would have be be very little.

I like how you have the obstacle and the newt both in sharp focus where it is directly in his path. It seems to put emphasis on his challenge. I do like his color. It is crazy, but I was trusting you that they are that incredibly colorful.

I suppose it could be a bit bright in the background, but I feel like it’s a very strong subject, so not as distracting as it otherwise might be.

Hi Kris,
that little guy is really cool. I’ve never seen one in this color before. What an eye-catcher.

In my opinion, there is nothing in the picture that really competes with the newt. Its color and placement ensure that it cannot be overlooked.
If I’m being picky, you could think about desaturating and darkening the green area at the top of the picture.

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Dennis_Plank, @karlag & @Jens_Ober - I had no idea these guys had such a limited range, but they are all over New England. Although the guide books say they are in WI, I have never seen one here. These are juvenile forms of this salamander and sometimes called a Red Eft. As adults they turn an olive green or tan color, have permanent gills and live entirely in water. I’ve watched them in the warm shallows of lakes and they are fierce little hunters. Their tails become longer and more flattened for their watery adult lives. Not sure why they are such bright orange as juveniles, but they are. Here’s one of my only photos of an adult - looks like there are changes to their legs as well.

Tiny hunter

3 Likes

Kris, the combination of low camera and the newt “straining” it’s head to look up does a fine job of creating the sense that it’s a really big world out there.

I like that the bg is emphasized too, as it’s an important part of your story. Your angle makes it look like a tough hurdle for him, even if it wasn’t. Nice one, Kris!

Thanks @Mark_Seaver & @Mike_Friel - glad this resonates with you and that the sense of scale and size differences come across. They’re such engaging little critters even when not facing the camera.