Falling frogs (w/2nd crop)

Alternate crop -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I felt bad after startling this little green frog off the bank of a big puddle in the trail, but it popped up after swimming to safety and I got this quick photo before moving on and leaving it in peace.

It might be a bit of a stretch calling this a landscape, but I deliberately included a lot of leaves and reflection since it seemed so fitting for the time of year and it give some scale and sense of proportion. Plus I love frogs and who doesn’t love fall?

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on processing and the crop - specifically the inclusion of the leaves. I have a few more in this frame and a couple of slightly different compositions.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for denoise AI, sharpening & texture. Also the crop and some work to balance colors and luminosity values. Brought it in to Ps to do a crap ton of work removing a million specks on the water surface (trucks and ATVs drive through it all day) and to enhance the light in the scene with luminosity masking and some freehand vignette & spotlight actions in the TK9 panel.

Almost missed your little friend, Kris. I was so caught up in the beautiful fall colorful leaves. Crop wise, I suppose a case could be made to crop out the orange/red leaf on the right side, but I love the color it adds. The other leaves seem to have managed to line themselves up very nicely. On second look, do you have a shot with a little more space at the bottom? Certainly am envying !your fall. Enjoy

Kris, this IS the landscape of the frog, so it does fit the theme. It would have been great to see more than 1 frog. Or more leaves of colors. Either way , nice shot .

Thanks @linda_mellor & @SkipsPics - glad it feels a bit more landscape-y than portrait-y.

I have one with more leaves in front, but they are upside down in the water and very bright in comparison to the right side up ones so I repositioned to crop them out in the field. I suppose I could have put more leaves in there, but didn’t want to scare the frog anymore than I already had. There’s a new crop in the OP for comparison.

Here’s a similar shot that has more than one frog, but it’s not as elegant or compelling, just kind of funny.

1 Like

I see what you mean, Kris. Lots of options all with merits of their own. However, I believe you have come up with the best of all . . … nicely done!

Wonderful! I love the warm color of this image, quintessential autumn. And, the frog adds just a touch of whimsy. You did a beautiful job blurring the background…just perfect. The leaves are well placed. If I had to choose, I think I’d pick the alternate crop.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Chris_Baird - I think the second one might just work better even though it is less expansive. The bg was a mess of specks before I cleaned it up, but the water was just so smooth a mirror for the sky that I had to persist so it could show well. Probably this little frog is now tucked down into the bottom of a pond or pool waiting for spring.

1 Like

I like all the leaves of color and the Frog’s that call it home. That is real nature without having to make it what it isn.t. Nice shot. Colors of real life and the smooth water let the little guys of green show. It is amazing how they survive thru winter. Nature is great and make it possible for us to take pictures of it. Thank for the shot.

1 Like

Thanks again @SkipsPics - I agree about the overwintering. Frogs essentially breathe through their skins and turtles their butts.