An Elegant Chrysalis

I refound the Eastern Black Swallowtail chrysalis that I spent four days looking for after a big storm. Pretty amazing what we see and don’t see. I spent this morning taking and retaking (subtly different camera positions) this view trying to get it “perfect”. The first view has the background highly manipulated to smooth it out, creating the view of what I wish had been there (emphasizing the elegance of the chrysalis), rather than what nature presented. The second view is the initial result from the 27 shot stack. I felt like the edges of the leaf behind the chrysalis were too strong, so I cloned the original shot background while still in the stacking software to get the third view… (7D2, 180 mm macro, f/8, 1/50 s, iso 800, tripod)

The elegant view (highly manipulated background):

Straight from the stacker:

The softer background view:

This is very cool, Mark. I’ve never had the privilege to see one of these and elegant is the right word for it. I love the harness at the top used to anchor it in place. For me the blended image at the bottom is the one. The layers created by the close and farther background elements frame the chrysalis quite well. The different shades of green are nice to look at, too, although a touch deeper shadows or blacks wouldn’t go amiss IMO. What a terrific subject and I can’t wait until it emerges.

Oh wow, Mark. I don’t think I have ever seen one of these either. I would be thrilled to have either one of these images to call my own, but I believe I like the second one best. The leaf seems to frame it for me. I love all the different shades of green. Very nice image.

Great capture, Mark. I like the “softer background” because it give a hint of the chrysalis’ environment without being overwhelming. I can’t even imagine doing a 27 stack, maybe someday. Nicely done.

Very well done, Mark. To tell the truth, I kind of like the one right out of the stacker for the way the leaf in the background echoes the shape of the chrysalis, but any of the three would be an image to be proud of.

A great image! I like the softer background view best, the BG is sift and calm but at the same time you get the shape that eco the subject.

Mark: Glad you found this and got the captures. I have two of these I’m watching in our garden hoping to catch the emergence. My thoughts echo Ola regarding the softer BG. Well done. >=))>