An External Singularity

Description:

Vacation photography is always a challenge because of possible time constraints and you can’t go back over and over again, and the light you get is the light you get. Plus you usually have non-photographers with you who get impatient and want to eat at a normal time (what and sacrifice my sunset?!) So after learning not to fight the light the hard way, this trip to Lassen Volcanic National Park was more successful. Especially here at the Cinder Cone. The view of it and the surroundings is dramatic and once you start walking around the top of the cone itself (and you can go down in it too), slices and views like this spark the imagination.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything useful is fine.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Handheld

Processed in Lightroom (Adobe Standard Profile) for black & white points, reduced clarity a bit, and some brush work here and there as well as some distraction removal. Cropped 16:9 to emphasize the long sweeping line of the soil formation.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

This one works very well for a midday image. I thought a B&W conversion might work, but I tried it and much prefer the color. No nits here.

1 Like

That tree performed very well for you, along with the balancing cloud in the UR, subtly echoed by the one on the left. Well seen!

I need to start carrying a dog bowl and kibbles for my husband.

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman & @Diane_Miller - I tried it as a monochrome, too, but decided color was the way to go as it was with most of my images from the Cinder Cone.

Mine is pretty tolerant, but rarely comes with me on my expeditions. Only if it’s a place he’d like to see, too, and spend a lot of time watching me contort myself and the tripod. I guess it’s entertaining. But I also like to relax, drink and eat at nice places, so the trade off isn’t too bad. Except once we were eating at a restaurant by Lake Tahoe and the sunset was dazzling. I squirmed in my seat. Husband knew what was going through my mind and suggested another martini! Solace!

Wonderful lines and a great pov, Kris. Sound like it was a very successful trip. Nicely done.

1 Like

Several years ago we were at Schwabacher Landing. I looked around to see him sitting on a log intently staring at his iPhone. He was reading the Wall Street Journal. I decided it was good to work locations where there was cell service.

2 Likes

Thanks Ladies!

Mine reads the WSJ electronically every day so that is a good idea.

Funny about this location - I didn’t realize that was the name of it and if it’s the same place, I have a canvas print on the bedroom wall. Husband watched me drag the tripod all over as we chased some ducks up river on a chilly November morning. Good times.

Kris: So well seen and composed. Just enough sky to complement and not detract and the lines are wonderful. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Nice! I love the lines on this and mid-day light works fine. A winner.

1 Like

Kris, the variety of colors and their well defined shapes make for outstanding viewing, with the tree as a fine focal point and nice surprise.

You think you have problems with your hubbies. If my wife comes on a trip with me she’ll sometimes whip out her Lumix and end up with a better picture than mine!

This is a great composition, Kris; and I especially like the contrasting pale and dark browns.

1 Like

Thanks, Gents. I walked around and back and forth quite a bit before finding this composition. I am pretty happy with it.

So Mike, how is it having a second shooter on a nature trip? Funny. My husband had a little point and shoot for a while, but never considered photography with any seriousness. He used it until the phones caught up and that was that. Still, he takes pretty good pics with it. He has an eye for composition for sure.