Painted Dunes

Took this image around noon hiking Cinder Cone volcano trail in Lassen Park back in September. There was heavy haze from wild fires burning less than 100 miles away.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any hints on processing hazy scenes

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5d mark iv, 150 mm, ISO 100 f/16 1/60 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Lana I absolutely love the composition here. The multiple number of layers in the scene creates a tremendous sense of depth, and a feeling being right there in the image. I like how you have the receding line of trees that form a C- curve in the composition, it creates a very dynamic feeling, and sweeps the viewers eye across the scene. My only nits from a composition perspective are that I wish there a tiny bit more space above the treeline at the top edge, and I would suggest cloning away the tree along the right edge, it feels a bit tight to the frame edge for me.

The haze is part of what creates some of the contrast in this scene, however here are some suggestions on processing haze. The Lightroom De-haze tool can add some contrast back here. Use it sparingly, not more than +5 to +7. It generally needs to be offset by slightly increasing exposure, as de-haze darkens the image. As a matter of personal taste, I would warm up the foreground slightly. I have done a rework reflecting these comments, including cloning the tree away, and adding canvas / Content Aware Fill in Photoshop to create breathing room at the top.

This is so insightful, @Ed_McGuirk! Appreciate your feedback very much ;-> Your rework makes a big difference.