An Un-Igor Image

I have received so many comments about how recognizable my images are that I’m starting to believe that there is something to that. So here is one that is different.

I no longer actively look for David Muench type of compositions but when they come along I certainly don’t pass up the opportunity. They are certainly easier to come up with. Actually this image was not that easy to obtain. You see, we’ve had a severe drought for about 3 years and many desert plants look sickly and shriveled up. The agaves have lost their robustness and have markings on them. The desert creatures have been chewing on them as well for the moisture they provide. Since I often resort to using agaves for my compositions the available compositions are less frequent.

This is a morning shot with the sun almost directly behind me. The shadows are at a bit of an angle to avoid the shadow from the tripod. My son likes this image so I’m posting it.

Any and all comments are welcome.

GFX50R, 32-64mm

PS. I actually hiked to the top of the hill on the left. Lots of spines.

5 Likes

Igor,an interesting image with a good story you added. I am with your son in liking the whole. And It’s always good that you bring certain photographers as now David Muench to my(our) attention

I feel I am out of my depth by attempting to comment on your image, but as this seems to be a site for learning, I’ll jump right in.

The image is truly beautiful and the interesting plants are testimony to the long drought and of course, the arid area in which they live. The cover story is also an interesting read.

I have two queries.

1. I have no idea what an Unlgor is…nor does google, and
  2. You have chosen not to include the tops of the two tallest plants. Were they included in your original file?

The answer is in the comment I made above:

Question #2:

No they were not. I never intended to include the entire plants because there would be too much sky and the main interest here are the agaves. The original did have more sky and that was cropped further. I’m not a believer that the tops of trees need to be always included. I think that’s what you’re getting at.

Fitting title. Initially, I was a bit curious about it because I thought the third letter was an L. While you were able to locate an area that was not as severely affected by the drought, it still reminds us that it exists and is taking its toll on even the deserts. If you had included the tops of all plants our attention would be to those and not where you intended.

1 Like

AH! Now I get it – an un-Igor image. The font fooled me and I read it as an L also.

For me, the large Saguaro pulls my eye right out the top of the image. I wonder about cropping a bit more of the sky and doing a gradient burn on the trunk.

Thank you for the comments about the plant tops and sky.

Ah! The hyphen makes all the difference!

1 Like

I have to say Igor that one thing that makes this an Igor image is the frame! Another thing is that you still managed to make it sort of a small scene rather than a grand landscape. And another thing is it reminds me of your other cactus images, one of which was awarded in that nature contest! You can’t fool us! :sweat_smile:. My only suggestion would be to crop a little off of the top, where you still have the hills but not so much of the saguaro. But I really like the composition.

I’m with Vanessa - you can’t fool us. :wink: This looks like an Igor image to me. Certainly the locale and subject matter, since we know you spend part of the year in Mexico/Baja. Also, as Vanessa pointed out, the small scene aspect. Actually, more of middle-scene aspect, with plants as the subject, but enough context that we can clearly discern their environment.

This was my initial reaction too, but upon studying the image, I think the saguaro works fine as presented. The luminosity of the saguaro pulls my eye to the notch in the hills, which is important. In that context the saguaro actually keeps my eye in the frame, rather than pulling it out. I think adding sky room at the top would diminish the landscape itself. And cropping the top further starts to feel cramped to me.

However, the other tall thin cactus to the left of the saguaro does pull my eye out of frame. Again cropping or adding canvas does not solve that issue for me. I would suggest cloning it away, down to the point where it crosses the horizon.

I would say this looks far more like an Igor than a David Muench. I like what is going on in the foreground, but the cutoff tops are problematic for me. I find myself looking up and out of the image, wondering what the tops look like. I read that your intent was not to include them, but that is my reaction to the image.

So what’s the solution, Harley, to the problem you perceive. Could you please do a quick modify to fix the issue as you think it needs to be?

Hi Igor. I don’t see a solution to the problem I perceive in the image. Just because I see an issue for me in an image doesn’t guarantee I see (or there is) a way to fix it.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Vanessa_Hill, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Jim_Gavin, @Diane_Miller, @Bonnie_Lampley , @glennie

Thank you for all your comments. There seems to be a general consensus that the cactus flowing upwards out of the frame is an issue. After looking at this for several days I am inclined to agree with you. I also looked at Jack Dykinga’s Arizona images and found numerous saguaro images where the tops were cut off and they look quite appropriate. In fact I have posted such images here without any such comments. So there is something about this specific image that doesn’t work. The tree seems to stretch rather awkward out of the frame. At this point I’m not sure if this is a real issue or a part of herd mentality where one commentator influences another, even the author. At any rate I don’t think neither a crop not gradient shading would fix this. The sky in the background is a rising mist so a gradient seems inappropriate.