Ancient trees

This is a shot taken at the Crags, an area on the slopes of Pikes Peak. It is a fairly easy hike with some amazing scenery. Included in this shot is a Bristlecone Pine, generally regarded as the oldest living thing on the planet. Many are well over 1000 years old.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D300, 18-105 lens at 18, ISO 400, polarizing filter, 1/320 @ f16

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

In my opinion your very nice image don’t need much comment. What you could have done is choose another angle. So that not the tree but the rock is in the foreground .

Skip,

Comp works well enough for me, especially showcasing the tree. The clouds are nice and a big help here too. The only wish I have would be for some room below the tree as the lower root is cut off. The shadow looks interesting as well.

Processing and color looks good given the time of day and bright conditions.

Lon

1 Like

Skip, I like the story you have here about the bristlecone and it’s environment. Your processing looks good, with nice shadow detail. I like placement of the tree relative to the clouds and the secondary elements to it’s right. I agree with Lon about wanting to see all of the tree’s root though. A minor nit is the cutoff tree branch in the lower left corner, it is a minor distraction and I would clone it away.