Sunset on a Giant

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The climb to the Schulman Grove in the White Mountains of Southern California is described as “easy”. At an elevation of 10,000 feet the half mile challenged me. This Bristlecone Pine is one of the many that are thousands of years old. Some are over 4,000. I took so long getting there that I had very little time to photograph this wonderful tree before leaving to get down before dark. Am I glad I went, most certainly, yes. would I do it again? No, probably not. I am not as young as I used to be.

Specific Feedback

The snow is the brightest part of the frame. I have toned it down and removed some of it. I would like to have cropped a bit wider, but it revealed more of the snow. There is one way that I could use to eliminate most of the snow convincingly, but it involved generative fill. No, I did not use it here. Any observations about processing would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Taken with a Sony a7iv on a tripod.
ISO 100, f/8, for 10 sec. at 24 mm.
Processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Barbara, the shape of the tree is quite striking and I like the feeling of looking up at it. The snow looks fine and it doesn’t pull attention from the tree. I do wish for a bit more space between the branches and the frame edge on the left.

Thanks, I cropped it to eliminate more snow. I guess I need to reconsider that choice.