Frosted Elegance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another photo from the February 24th snowstorm that blanketed the Santa Cruz Mountains. This time some stately redwoods with their branches frosted with snow. Many redwoods in my area succumbed to the weight of the snow, although they are very resilient to fire, can sway crazily in high wind, and still remain standing, they are just not well suited to snow like their cousin conifers. I have another scene that I photographed twice 9 seconds apart from each exposure, in that time between the two frames an entire redwood tree fell. I would not have noticed it other than when scrolling through the photos I noticed a slight change in the scene and then on flipping back and forth between the two frames, it can be seen the tree is there then not there. I would love to share that, but not sure how to as looking a the two frames side by side it is hard to see the missing tree.

However, this stand of redwoods managed to remain standing and took on an elegant appearance draped in snow.

Specific Feedback

How does this photo appeal to you? Would a 4x5 crop be better-suited cropping from the bottom? I am more attracted by the top half of the photo.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon MF 50 mm f/1.8 lens, set at f11, 1/25 sec, ISO 100. Processed in ACR and PS CC. Minimal adjustments.

Hello Youssef, I like this one as presented. I initially thought about a 4x5 crop and played with it a little bit, I also tried a 5x7 which may work better than the 4x5. I agree that the top half is more interesting, but the bottom supports the top right now, cutting it off too high made it feel disconnected to me. I like the way the trees both pull you up into the scene but the also bring me from let to right the way they stagger in height. That is crazy about the tree falling! Amazing how much things can change in just a short period of time.

Thanks for sharing.

Youssef, this does a fine job of showing off the snow covered trees. I’d have never known that they were Redwoods without your description. To show the fallen tree, you just post both views in a single upload (there’s a button in the form), then in the large view, the viewer can arrow back and forth between the two images. It’s a great way to see subtle changes.

Youssef,

Love this one! Great job showcasing the snowy redwoods (yeah, I wouldn’t know they were redwoods either… but still…)

You might recall I’m not a big fan of the tall digital formats… but I go back to when I used to teach composition at the Camera Club and Parks dept, tall verticals are most appropriate for … wait for it… tall subjects like trees… Anyway, I agree with David in that the bottom part of the scene is important to anchor and support the rest of the trees.

I think I’m happy to view this experience from afar - not sure I’d want to be anywhere near being beneath this beauties during or after a storm… Glad you were safe and escaped any damage at home (at least I’m assuming…)

Lon

1 Like

Thanks, Lon, Mark, and David. For the most part, we were safe. We did lose about 10 trees on our property, and only one small tan oak fell onto our carport roof with no damage, thank God. Around the house, we have not left many trees or branches that could fall and damage the house or us, as we did extensive fire mitigation last year after the huge fire.

But as we made our way up to the ridge to make all these photos, at least along our road, it was precarious. Once on the main road, there were no trees that could fall on us.

As I continue to compare the full frame with a cropped frame, I can see the full frame is best.

I like the look and feel of this one quite a lot. One minor quibble - I’d lose the watermark, especially for NPN - no one here is going to be stealing your low res photo for usage and it just detracts from the image, overall.

1 Like