Redwoods In Disguise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Those of you from California, especially northern California, know what a phenomenal winter we experienced. This past winter has been my 8th winter living in the Santa Cruz mountains. While this past winter was not the first time we had snow falling on us, it was most definitely the most extensive. The day before this photo was made, it snowed a total of 3 inches at the highest peaks, and it did not last long before it melted. The night before this photo was made we had 6 inches at our home at a 1300 ft elevation and well over a foot of snow at the summit. I was the first one out that morning hiking through the virgin show on our main road to get to vantage points to capture this amazing landscape.

Redwoods are not accustomed to this kind of load on their branches, and while out there that morning, the sound of snapping branches and whole trees was continuous.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback on the composition is welcomed.

Technical Details

This was taken on a Nikon D850 with a MF 50mm f/1.8 lens set at f11 1/40 sec at ISO 100. I processed it in ACR and PSCC with just an adjustment for contrast and a Lights and Darks TP.

1 Like

Youssef,

Wow, I can just imagine what you experienced walking through your hometown space during and after this 100-yr event - and being the first to break the snow-covered ground on your way to this photograph. If I recall, they had snow on the ground at the Boardwalk after this storm…

Most certainly a beautiful and unique view to see these woods in a full blanket of snow. I especially like exploring the various colors of the woods (from greens to browns) showing through the covering of snow.

I wasn’t there and so don’t know your options, my only observation would be wondering if there were any options without the sky? It’s not an issue or distraction, but the beauty to me is all in the redwoods and forest. And the memory and experience this must have been.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Stunning – I love the subtle colors and can appreciate how rare and special this was. You did an excellent job making the redwoods stand out. I’m sad to hear many of the trees paid a price, though. I suspect many have been weakened by recent unprecedented drought.