And we're off

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So I live on the Wisconsin river and to go anywhere requires me to cross it at least once. Just down stream of the main bridge is a shallow spot with a little island that often has eagles in it. They perch here and across the street and often fly between. That’s what this one was doing when I stopped after seeing it perched. Without even using the Pre-capture burst feature I caught this take off sequence pretty well and was happy with the encounter since it flew across the street and then back to the island and a different tree. I was on my way somewhere else, but was glad I took the time to hang out with one of our local birds.

Specific Feedback

Processing options welcome. There isn’t much I could do to improve the field work except to get a longer lens!

Technical Details

Handheld while leaning on the hood of the Jeep. Burst mode using I think the mechanical shutter.

Lr for basic stuff including a denoise operation, a crop and work to improve color and shadow recovery. Sharpening & texture added. Nothing major.

Very cool series Kris! All are nice and sharp, which can be tricky with all the branches and pine bows around it. I like the colors and light too. Well done!

This isn’t easy to pull off – you had enough SS to give a sharp bird and the focus stayed on it. Well done indeed!

Thanks @Steve_Kennedy & @Diane_Miller - so far all my faves are of birds, funny. It was a bit difficult to see the bird at first because of all the branches, but they’re pretty big and the animal detection found it pretty well. Plus I use focus peaking to make sure of it, but when they fly - all bets are off!