Anhinga aka 'Devil Bird' and 'Snake Bird'

What technical feedback would you like if any? ANY & ALL!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY & ALL!

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS REBEL T2i
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/1250th, f/5.6, ISO 400, 400mm

This capture comes from a wetlands near Charleston, South Carolina. I’d been to this area previously and came away with only poor Anhinga images. That was a few years ago. This time around, I was quite surprised and satisfied to get another chance with this bird.

Looking forward to your take on this image!

Jim Nall
Louisville, KY

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is one of the better Anhinga images images that I’ve seen. I really like the wings spread and the view sandwiched between the tree. Yes it is not your classic Anhinga picture but perhaps that is what I like about it. Good job on the detail.

Jim: a unique “in the good sense” of an anhinga. There’s good detail in the black feathers and the bird is nicely framed by the branches. My only suggestion would be to clone out the single twig by the bird’s head. Nicely done. Richard

I agree with David and Richard. Interesting and different anhinga shot. I like the scene, but I do find the branches behind the bird a little distracting.

Nice detail in the head particularly, Jim. Maybe a touch more depth of field to get the feet sharper, but they’re not a critical part. I really like the different pose that foreshortens the long neck that’s usually such a dominant feature. The blacks look good sand I do like the way it’s framed.