Anhinga Posing

This photo was taken during the morning at a pond near marshes in Jacksonville, FL.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All artistic feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shot with a Nikon D90 and Nikon 18-300 lens at 200mm
f /7.1, shutter at 1/125,
ISO 250 (I thought I had it on auto ISO, but then realized it was set at 250). Would higher ISO have helped?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great pose and perch, Scott. I do think a higher iso would have helped to some extent. You ended up with it pretty sharp, but a little higher shutter speed would have been beneficial I think. I also think some more depth of field would help in this image. The perch and wings look fairly sharp, but the face doesn’t . You didn’t mention it, but I’d be interested in what auto-focus points you used, assuming it wasn’t manual focus. For living creatures, the eye tends to be the critical point to get good focus. It’s usually best to use just one focal point or at most a small array and set it on the face, then lock focus and recompose as necessary.

I like the angle you were at, it shows the wings off very nicely without being a straight on back shot.

1 Like

Those are all helpful comments. I don’t remember which auto focus points I had selected, but it certainly could have been the full matrix. I will try to be more purposeful about that. Thank you

Hi Scott
I think Dennis cover every. A full matrix would have grabbed the wing as the focus point. I think the focus on the head and eye is due to the 1/125 shutter speed ( a small head bob can make the shot look out of focus). I like the shot it is interesting and well framed. Keep shooting.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you. I will pay more attention to shutter speeds.

Increasing ISO allows stopping down (larger F stop number) for more dof, and increased shutter speed which helps with subject movement and camera shake. I assume neither your lens or camera has IS (stabilization). Don’t be afraid to increase ISO you can adjust noise in post.