Purple Finch Asking WHY

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DS-R, f 9 , ISO 800, 1/160 sec.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

An apt title. I really like the composition and the lovely bg. The shot from below the Finch also works with the far off gaze and the great looking branch. The photo does seem to be lacking detail or focus. It just seems to be a bit off for some reason.

I agree with David’s comments. I like the idea here, including the perch and the background, but it looks to me like camera shake rendered the entire frame soft due to the low shutter speed. Were you handholding? What lens did you use? Personally, I’d have shot at like f/7.1 and raised my shutter speed. If possible, I’d also try lowering the perch so you’re eye level with the bird. Looking forward to more.

Hi Lyle, Thanks for the helpful comments. I use 100x400mm II,with 1.4x extension. It is easy for me to bump the tripod sometimes. I have to use AV setting on my camera because I cannot trust my vision. Must use automatic focus which is not always true.

Wayne