Female Goldfinch

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo was taken back in May. By the time she was finished loading up she had bits and pieces going in every direction. A full vertical crop from a horizontal. 7D II, 700mm, f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400. Processed in LR.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very nice capture, David. That nice smooth background sure makes the Goldfinch and the perch pop out nicely. Nice behavior shot.

I love it, David. The only nit I can think of is that if she was at this for awhile, stopping down and jacking up your iso to compensate might have put that entire perch in crisp focus, but it’s a gorgeous image with great behavior regardless.

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman and @Dennis_Plank
And good idea Dennis. It had never entered my mind I was just so into watching her. It looks like the bg could have tolerated a bit more dof also.

1 Like

Hi David,

I go nuts when I find that I could have used a little more DOF. To me, the DOF is very minor as the goldfinch is a very strong element in the image. BG is fine and I also like the degree of saturation that is present with the greens. Well done…Jim

Superb job on this. The comp, environmental aspect, and BG are excellent. I’m not bothered at all by the DOF.