Whatcha lookin' at?

One from a trip back in January - a little cold but worth the travel and time

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any - I am open to all that will help me improve

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Not sure what can be given, most of what I shoot is SOOC - I spend very little time in post.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
SOOC

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Jim. You caught a very nice pose and judging from the eye, the focus was good. The bird is rather overexposed, and the composition would be a bit nicer with more room in front of the bird as if feels a bit crowded in that direction.

It would be helpful if you’d list your equipment and shooting parameters, such as f-stop, shutter speed, iso, and any exposure compensation as well as metering mode. Also, while you mentioned that you don’t spend much time in post processing, it can be helpful. You could probably bring the exposure of this bird down a bit in post processing, particularly if you’re saving your images in-camera in a Raw format. There are also techniques and software that can help bring out plumage detail that is difficult to show without them. For instance, the white plumage in this bird (and most white birds) doesn’t show well without a little enhancement.

I do like the image and I look forward to more of your posts.

Thank you - I looked at the original again and redid the crop so there is more in the front - you are right, it looked a little crowded when I looked at it again.
The settings…
D850 - ISO 560 - 200mm - F3.5 - 1/200 sec

Here’s the redone photo

Nice image. Perhaps a crop somewhere in between the original and the repost and another round of sharpening?

I think Dave Bogener hit on the correct crop. There’s a bit too much perch in the repost, though I’d love that perch with an eagle on it!

Thank you for all the comments - I uploaded the wrong adjusted file. The final adjusted has a shorter tree stump. I am still playing with lightroom to learn how to adjust the sharpness etc. The next one i upload will be better - both taken and post-processed.