An osprey with a fish

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: sony a7r iv & 200-600mm @ 600mm. 1/1250s, f/8.0, iso 3200

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A nice catch for both of you and welcome to NPN. I think you did a good job with the detail and processing on the bird. Whites are well exposed and not blown. You don’t get much time to respond when taking an image like this but of course it would be a lot better if the bird was facing more towards you rather than away. And you can’t do anything about that here. What you could do would be to try to get a little more separation between the background and the white plumage. Perhaps a vignette on just the background. From the standpoint of composition, a little more room on the left side would be preferable.

thanks david, i wish i had gotten it looking at me, that would have been great. hopefully next time. the osprey took off just as i started shooting so i originally framed it with it’s wings tucked in and plenty of room all around. it’s cropped in a tiny bit due to fixing a slight tilt to the image, but not much more than what you see. i’ll try adding some extra room with the smart fill and a slight vignette around the background. thank you so much for the critique and warm welcome.

It is a very nice shot and that piling looks like a spot to get more. I agree a bit more room on the left would be nice. I like the action and nice to see the head slightly turned towards you. If mine I might lighten the head area a bit to showcase it a bit more. Well done and looking forward to seeing more.