Osprey with Dinner

Late afternoon sun, side backlight, on a river delta in Western Costa Rica. Difficult exposure. From a moving boat

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-400, 500 mm +1.4 extender, F8, 2000th, D 500, handheld, 75% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well, it might have been a difficult exposure, but I think it turned out great, David. The details are really nice. I really like the perch he is on, and what is left of his dinner. That beak open I think is a nice plus as well. I would be very pleased to claim this as my photo, especially if I had taken it from a moving boat!

Very nice, David. Excellent clarity in the Osprey and I like the open beak. It picked a great perch for you.

Very nice shot - good pov and you captured the moment well.
Grt, Ingrid.

Hi David, very nice capture - love the open beak and prey. Details on head and chest look great. I’m wondering about the lower feathers - details there seem muted to me. Maybe I’m just wrong but I’m wondering if there was some processing done there.

The original exposure on the brown plumage was quite dark as I was exposing for the highlights. There was no separate processing done on the lower aspect of the bird. All processing was universal. here is another image in which I did some local processing but only on the white plumage where it had some cyan/blue cast. The feathers on the top of the head should be whiter