Red Breasted Nuthatch

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Canon 5dsr, 100x400x1.4 Lens, f-8, 1/500sec., ISO 1000 at 560mm., removed one out of focus limb from left bottom.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A very nice pose and perch, with pleasing colors and good tonality for strong front-on lighting. You have good detail with good DOF for f/8. I’m wondering if it’s a big crop, as it feels a little oversharpened, which is easy to do with fewer pixels.

I’m a little conflicted about the black BG – is there a bit of detail to bring out there?

Nice nuthatch photo. This little guys seem hard to catch up to. I like the exposure. My preference would be to have bird a bit to the left in the frame.

Very good detail in the Nuthatch, Wayne. I like the pose and perch. I too am wondering about the black background. It almost looks like a flash image though you don’t mention using one. Did you have an artificial background or replace the original in processing?

Hi Wayne,

The comments mentioned by previous viewers will help the comp. The black BG is unusual for this type of shot. The nuthatch is nice and sharp, but lighting is very flat…Jim

My first reaction to the image was the black background. Went back and read what you provided and didn’t see mention of flash. The image has a very flashed look to it with flat frontal light like that from an on camera flash. I’m a huge advocate for using flash to enhance images where feasible, but if the flash work is noticeable, then it doesn’t help.

Repost Original File. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone. I believe the dark background is from direct sunlight on the subject while the background was shaded heavley. I don’t usually use flash when using my tent, although it can be used with my setup. I have posted my original file so you can see how my process started. Upon viewing my photo for the first time it was decided to keep the dark background and not edit it out . Again many thanks for all comments.
Wayne

Seeing the original, you did a nice job with the processing. I take bird photos all the time in these conditions. It didn’t look flashed to me, the eye would have looked weird, it did look like a large crop.
A better head angle and it would be even better.

Hi John
My first thought was this looks like you used a flash. The original shot shows what you started with and the end posting. I want to thank you for posting the original photograph. showing the starting point is vary helpful.
Nice work.
Peter