Red-breasted nuthatch

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DS-R, 100x400x1.4 Ext., at f 8, 1/1250sec., iso 1000. Removed some branches and relocated one. Used Topaz to reduce noise then moved to PS for final refinements.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi John, Love these little birds and this is a nice capture of one. Sharpness on the bird looks good and I like the perch with berries. Pleasing background. Minor nits are to take out the oof branch in lower center of frame and wishing for a bit more head turn toward us. I find these birds quite quick and tough to catch - you did well here IMO.

Repost Thanks Allen, I’ve removed out of focus limb at bottom of picture and it looks much better.

Good job in getting this guy posed for you like this-tough to do. Good detail and an interesting perch and the berries are a nice addition. Good background as well. Nice one.

I agree that you did a good job with this but also agree with Allen Sparks on some of his comments.
These guys are fun but they are fast. I always enjoy taking photos of them when they show up which is rare around my area. I think they have beautiful plumage and I enjoy their behavior which can be humorous at times. Yes it would be nice to have a little more eye contact but I think this post works as well as almost any. With the interesting perch and berries, the square crop works well.

Thanks to all. I have discovered that removing some of the noise first, before any other edits makes the process so much better in the end.