Red Breasted Nuthatch

A tight crop and on the borderline of being over sharp.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 800, 100-400@400, f5.6, 1000th, A7R4, handheld, 50% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Really nice, David. Good detail and color in the bird, and a pleasing BG. Good work.

Nice job, David. Nuthatches are tough. When the body looks over sharp, the cheek still wants to look soft. This worked out well and while it looks as if you had fairly harsh light, the angle of the light on the bird removed the effect of it there. This looks like a juvenile with that gape showing at the corner of the beak.

Fine detail here; a nice close-up view.

A very nice shot of a bird that just never seems to sit still. I like the eye contact. I don’t think it looks over sharpened. Well done.

Lovely, with good tonal detail in spite of bright sun. You caught the decisive moment – probably of about one millisecond. It looks chubby and fluffy, maybe also a juvenile characteristic? Would love to see one – I only have the White-breasted down here.