Red Breasted Nuthatch

This is the lightest rufous color I have seen on a Red Breasted Nuthatch. This was taken moderately cloudy conditions; in sunny conditions, this nuthatch almost has no reddish color at all and I had initially thought it might be a White Breasted Nuthatch but we are too far north for their range.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1250, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 1600th, handheld, no flash, 20% of full frame, so a large crop. No added sharpening

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, he is a real fine looking bird, and you did a superb job at capturing this image of him. Wonderful details in the feathers, and I like the perch he is on as well. Nice oof BG. Well done.

Hi David, this is one of my favorite birds and one we rarely get to see down south. I like the composition and the background sets the bird off well. Nice details. Well done.

Another one where the bird is razor sharp. Glad you didn’t add any sharpening. Like the mossy perch and the BG. Looks good from here.

Another excellent image, David. The detail you’re getting at that large a crop is superb. I’ve seen pretty pale Red-breasted Nuthatches this time of year. Their summer plumage seems to be surprisingly pale and their fall molt seems to brighten them up. It’s probably a female as well as they do have significantly paler breasts.