Anna's Hummingbird

This male seems to be in full battle dress, ready to defend his feeder against all aggressors. Canon 1DX2, Canon 600 f/4 + 1.4X, f/14, 1/320, ISO 1600. Minor adjustment in LR - a bit of Vibrance and some sensor cleaning. Into PS to remove a leaf in the UR. Cropped to 60% of the full frame. The perch is a redwood branch that I put up near the feeder. The BG is trees 200 ft away. The perch is in open shade. I post a a somewhat high res so click twice to see the best detail.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Diane, he is gorgeous. I am amazed at the details in his feathers. The nice evergreen perch that slopes downward in the image makes a nice natural setting. That smooth green background that compliments the perch and bird just makes the image look like it is begging to be hung on a wall. Great shot. :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Diane
This is exquisite and the detail is amazing! No nits from me. Two thumbs up!

Hi Diane
That is a really nice view of a Humming birds coloring. They are a fun bird to watch in defending all comers. The perch and background help the hummer to standout. Nice work.
Peter

Diane,
What a beautiful image. The detail is fantastic, the colors are just right, the perch is one of the best I’ve seen for a hummer, and the head turn is the icing on the cake. He is well lit for being in the shade. Nice job on this Diane!

I heartily agree with all. In addition, I find that the delicacy of the redwood foliage is a fine accompaniment for the incredible detail of the plumage, and the background a perfect foil. And yeah, the perfect eye catchlight.

Wow. This is really pretty. Everything about this is so pleasing to view. Details are fantastic, the BG is complimentary but not overly uniform, that perch is just right, the head turn is so engaging, etc. If I were to look for something to critique, it would be that, in a perfect world, there’d be a sliver of room between the tail and the redwood leaf (I suppose that’s a leaf?).

Thanks everyone! That is a leaf, Lyle – good point I hadn’t noticed --I could actually shorten it a bit. I got quite a few shots as they began to use this perch, and I’ll try for some more today, after I quit putting off cleaning the sensor. The 1DX2 still throws oil from the shutter after 4 years.