Anna's Hummingbird

I put up a different perch and got lucky with a female Anna’s who gave me a nice pose. Canon 1DX2, 600mm f/4 + 2X, f/16, 1/320 sec, ISO 1250, sunlight just brushing in from the left as the sun rose over the roof, distant trees in the BG. Shadow and Highlight adjustments in LR, added a sliver of canvas on the left as the leaf was almost touching the edge. Topaz DeNoise AI, but probably not noticeable at this size.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I think the perch is prettier than the bird. That backlighting just sets the perch off so well, but it also works for the bird. A really pretty frame overall. My only minor nit is that I’d probably clone the end of the branch so that it looked less obviously broken by man.

Wow, what a beauty, Diane. I love the lighting on her and the branch. I am amazed at the details in the feathers and the reflection in the eye, considering how small she is. Great capture.

Thanks folks! The end of the branch bothers me, too, but it is a natural break where a terminal “leaflet” broke off – it was that way when I picked it up. Trimming it back would look unnatural for the way the leaves grow. I’ll see if I can find a better specimen. And with a dead branch, I need a Rufous Hummingbird!! They are transient and scarce here.

This is a beauty. What gorgeous light! The end of the broken branch doesn’t bother me.

Yes this does have very nice lighting especially on the oranges of the leaves. Keep working on the Anna’s. This one looks quite anemic from a standpoint of color saturation and looks like it was related to the one that I posted not too long ago. In my area, I have Anna’s hummingbirds year-round and I do notice times when they are a lot more saturated. But part of that depends on the diffraction of light based on their relative position with respect to the sun.Very well done because of composition, light, and color gradations