Anna's Hummingbird and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Was in the backyard with my camera and this hummingbird landed no more than 20 feet from me.

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/640 at f7.1, +1/3 EV; ISO 5000. I applied NR to the background, but the bird seemed okay at 100% magnification.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. Excellent detail in the bird. The way that perch got bisected by the foreground vegetation is a bit odd-you’d think the left side of the break would fade out like the right side did.

Nice capture Allen of this little beauty. Exposure looks really good and I especially like the head turn. I’m noticing some noise on the bird especially in the darker feathers in the largest size image. You may want to try denoise and see if you like the results. Either way a fine catch.

Very nice! I agree with @Allen_Sparks that there is noise in the bird, especially in the gray wing feathers. Why not just do a global denoise? Topaz Denoise gives excellent results with feathers and a subtle sharpening. (You can look at the previews and choose the best parameters. The newer models of Severe Noise and Low Light – very arbitrary names – usually give excellent results. Click the slider for model preferences to get the default values.)

I like the OOF vegetation but as @Dennis_Plank the end of the branch going behind the OOF vegetation does look odd. Some soft cloning will fix it.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Sparks , and @Diane_Miller for your thoughts and comments. Here’s a repost with some NR on the hummer. Did some work on the branch, but not sure if this was what was referred to.

Hi Allen
You can never, go rong with a Hummingbird photograph. The noise reduction looks good and I really like the out of focus foreground. You might look at dropping the overall exposure, to cleanup the clipping on some of the Brest feathers.
Peter

1 Like

Hi Allen. This did fix the end of the branch I was thinking about. You probably could have left the part on the other side of the leaf as it kind of finished things up and gave it some support instead of ending in mid-air.

1 Like

Yes, better. I second the points just above, by @peter and @Dennis_Plank. The end of the branch could be even a bit more subtle/gradual.

1 Like