Anna's Hummingbird (Seated) + RP

A revision:

And the original:

This is the first day in a long time that wasn’t dreary with rain and I had to get outside and find something to shoot. Anything. Dark-eyed Juncos were frequenting this scraggly fig near a feeder and I went after them, and then this hummer came along and posed for a minute.

Type of Critique Requested

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wish his wing didn’t merge with the branch but he gave me no choice. A big tripod was too clumsy to move without risking disturbing him, and he left right after giving me a few shots.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 2.44.44 PM

Shadows raised in LR and a touch of Texture for pseudo-sharpening. Into PS for Topaz Denoise, which wasn’t needed for noise but gave a touch more sharpening. A few twigs pruned.

2 Likes

Great composition and photo, Diane. The OOF branches that are behind the bird are fine. The branch on the right side which is not as out of focus is the one I noticed. Maybe that can be cropped out. The details and sharpness of the hummingbird came out very well.

Great catch, Diane. I agree with @Dean_Salman about the right side crop. It would simplify things quite a bit. Glad you were able to get out and photograph.

At least the weather gives you something to talk about, lol. Seriously, that’s about all anyone could discuss when I was in Paso Robles last week. The dusting of snow caused a panic. Lots of flooding though, off and on. Hope that’s not an issue for you.

What a beauty. I love the sweep of those tiny wings. Lots of nice detail and color. I’m inclined to agree with a crop from the right. Those branches are a bit large in the frame. Glad you got a break in the weather.

I’ll go along with everyone’s suggestion of a crop or, alternatively, just getting rid of those twigs on the right. The remainder of the image is well captured, with sharp details and nice color. Glad she made an appearance for you.

Excellent detail; it’s nice to get a hummer close-up and still. I thought the curve of the wing against the branch added some interest to the shot. Being a pruner, my approach would be to remove the out of focus branches. The background seems monochromatic enough to where you could paint over them.

Thanks, @Dean_Salman, @David_Bostock, @Kris_Smith, @terryb and @Allen_Brooks. It would be easy to remove all the OOF branches but I think it would look a little sterile. They make a natural sweep up to help fill the negative space (I didn’t prune them to do that) and the two that are larger toward the edge are also a little darker, which helps balance the visual weight of the hummer and his perch. I might crop to remove the two on the right. I’ve posted another version above with the branch behind him removed – does that resolve any issues for anyone? I think I like it better.

I do like the new version better in other ways, @Diane_Miller. Lifting the bird higher in the frame and removing the branch behind. I am thinking cropping on the right will help more. The details of the bird look nicer, maybe because the branch in the back is not there.

The detail in this bird is stunning. I certainly think a cropped portrait would be very effective as well. Lovely capture!

Hi Diane, Great details and nice to have one sitting. Love it! As to the branches, they don’t really bother me to be honest. They add some depth, and tell a bit about the surroundings. That said, you closing skills are better than mine LOL … good job! Cheers, Hans

Hi Diane
That is one heck of a shot for 1000mm and 1/500 shutter speed. As for the out of focus beaches, I agree with Hans. I think they add to the framing.
Nice work.
Peter

Thanks, @Robena.Sirett, @Hans_Overduin and @peter! Definitely several ways this one could go. I thought I had posted an edit with the two twigs on the right lighter, but apparently not. (Have been chasing my tail for the last several months.) A vertical or square portrait could also work.

Peter, on the sturdy tripod I could have gone even lower with the ss, but at ISO 400 I felt the noise was low enough it wouldn’t be a great help. If these little birds twitch just a little, it can really give some blur.