Anna's Hummingbird

I was trying out a new Canon R5 with the 100-500 and a hummingbird volunteered as a test subject. It wasn’t any kind of setup, just casually handheld at 500mm, f/7.1, ISO 400, 1/160 sec. I was only expecting to see how the AF and IS did. I only got a few shots as the hummers have been very scarce here after several days of major smoke in the air. I hope they survived and just moved away, but I fear the worst. Anyway I liked this one and thought I’d share it. Basic tonal adjustments in LR and cloned in a missing throat feather and burned the right side subtly. Noise reduction and sharpening in Topaz, but not very noticeable at this size.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is just beautiful Diane. I love these kinds of shots with fluttering wings. Plus the background so soft really lets this beauty stand out. Well done!!!

A really cool image, Diane. I really like what the slow shutter speed did for the wings. That almost double image appeals to me. You also got a great head turn and your processing looks excellent. Sorry to here you still have the smoke down there.

Really nice shot Diane. It looks like AF and IS did just fine. Pretty impressive at 1/150 I think.
I will be looking forward to seeing how you do with the R5.

Looks good–head is nice and sharp and with excellent color. I expect more good things after you break in this new camera. Well done…Jim

Thanks guys! I’m going to start a discussion in hopes of some of us sharing experiences. No time right now, though – maybe tomorrow.

Looks like an Anna’s HB. I really like this pose but getting the HB to pose like this isn’t easy. Interesting at slower shutter speed. When they pose like this, a slower SS can work well. I typically shoot at 500th to 800th if I want blur. If you enjoy HB photography, you should consider a trip to Central or South America.

No nits here! A beautiful shot with excellent detail and a good pose against a good background.