Anna's Hummingbird

I’ve been going out a couple of times a day with the relatively nice weather we’ve been having and trying to get some shots of the hummingbirds, which are here in plenty (they like to perch in our native Hawthorn and I counted six in it at once several times this afternoon). Since this is the first time we’ve really had Anna’s, I’ve been trying specifically for shots of them. It helps that this male is very nice about backing off from the feeder frequently.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and sidekick, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I used Content Aware Crop to reframe the hummer into a nicer position. It worked quite nicely this time, with no cleanup required. This is close to the original size in the frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice Dennis. It’s really hard to get a sharp flight shot and good color to boot.

Nice capture Dennis. I like the color on the neck and good detail on the hummer. Nice background too. I wish the near wing wasn’t slightly blocking the neck. A well done image.

What @Allen_Sparks said. This is very well done.

Beautiful shot, Dennis. I am looking forward to our hummers. Should be showing up in the next couple of weeks.