Yeah?

I haven’t been getting out or processing much the last week or two-life’s gotten a bit busy. Tonight, I sat down and processed a couple from a couple of weeks ago. I liked the rather pugnacious look this Male Anna’s was giving me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did some selective brightening of the bird, does it still look consistent?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and sidekick, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 18.4 MP, but I moved it a bit in the frame and ended up using content aware crop for the bit of canvas I had to add on the left and bottom.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m impressed with the sharpness of the head and body. Colors look good and I like how you positioned the bird in the frame. Good work.

Dennis-
As a fellow Hummer shooter this is what I hope for with flying shots. Fine detail, feather colors, nice bokeh BG, a little wing blur. Perfecto!

Dennis, I like the pose here, as though the hummer has just launched itself into the air. Though it was probably hovering, it’s fun to see how these poses can sometimes convey a different sense of movement than what really occurred. Nice light on the gorget too, presumably helped by your selective processing. It pops nicely!

I do think it could use a bit less canvas at bottom… or even the top (would prefer cropping from bottom, as it eliminates some of the greenish patch in the background). I feel the equal amounts of empty space fight against each other in this case.

Max

Dennis, this is simply gorgeous. I agree with @Max_Waugh about losing some of the bottom part of the canvas. But that’s really minor. It’s a gorgeous work.

Excellent color, detail, wing position and background in this image Dennis. Hopefully you will have more free time to photograph and process in the future. I’m waiting for a nice bright but not harsh day to go to McLane Creek.

Super shot Dennis, love the gorget and pose!

Simply excellent capture, Dennis ! everything sharp where it needs to be and a great bg. Personally I am for leaving the full space around it - it seems to suggest movement better as is than it otherwise might.