Anna's Hummingbird

This is the first year we’ve had Anna’s hummingbirds hanging around for any length of time, that we’re sure of. I decided we had enough filtered sun to make it interesting to go out and try for some shots today. The male had the good habit (from a bird photographer’s point of view) of backing away from the feeder and hovering for a few seconds before coming back in for another drink. I was lucky enough to catch this pose.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is a pretty fair crop. Did it hold up OK for web presentation?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 531 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7.5 MP. Taken today at 11:17 am under hazy skies. Background is distant winter grasses.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dennis, very dynamic pose - well caught. I like the colors on the bird and the background. Nice sense of motion with the wing blur. well done.

Dennis,

The pose, the eye contact, the light, are spot on. It doesn’t look like a big crop as presented. I do love the wing blur here, makes it super dynamic. And the BG is delicious.

Dennis, I echo the other comments. “lucky enough to catch this pose”? I think not. Takes preparation and patience. Great capture. In my opinion it holds up very well in presentation.

Great shot with good detail in the head and neck and nice wing blur.

I like it, Dennis! The Hummer’s pose is different from the standard ‘in front of a feeder’-pose, which makes it interesting. Great works on the techs as well ! Cheers, Hans