Anna's Hummingbird

Just our resident Anna’s male. He’s been pretty skittish this winter, but he let me get close enough for some decent shots a few days ago.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. Not much of a background, but the light didn’t allow me to get into a position with a tree behind him.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9 (wide open), 1/1000, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5697x4073. An out of focus branch removed. Brought up exposure of most of the bird, but toned down the exposure and highlights of the brightest part of the gorget. Taken March 3rd at 4:58 PM.

1 Like

Feisty for their size, aren’t they? I like the leaning forward pose. Open the shadows on the face slightly maybe? Otherwise, it’s a fine shot.

Nice look! Good color and detail but I agree with Kris about opening up the shadows on the face.

He looks like he is just going to tolerate a certain number of photos and no more. Nice pose and i like how the perch extends into the frame. Signs of spring.

Hi, Dennis. I concur with all the above. Buds swelling on the branch; spring will soon be here. My Carolina Chickadees are getting very vocal, and investigating the nest boxes in my yard.

Very pretty, Dennis. I can see he’s keeping an eye on you!