Male Anna's Hummingbird

Our spring birds are starting to come back and I spent some time yesterday morning just walking around. It turned out that this winter resident gave me probably my favorite image while backing away from the feeder to check for competitors.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 757 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/1250, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4902 x 3588. Taken yesterday at 9:32 AM.

3 Likes

I like the wing position as it conveys a sense of motion and the light on the gorget is very nice. Good background as well.

A dynamic image conveying motion. Excellent detail and exposure.

A beautiful image Dennis. Well-positioned in the frame and a creamy background too. Lots of detail to enjoy when enlarged. Don’t see how it could be improved.

A wonderful image of a great little bird. You’ve captured lovely movement in the wings and outstanding detail in the feathers.

Oh this is great for all the reasons stated above. I can’t wait for ours to return. We don’t get any species other than the ruby-throated, so it’s nice to see something a little different. They are wonders.

Such a great shot of this little guy, Dennis. Manual focus, huh? I’m guessing that you focused on something that would be in the distance and at f9 you had some extra room for that focus to still get him sharp? He is sharp as a tack, that’s for sure. Great timing with the wing position too. I am so looking forward to our hummers coming back in a couple of weeks probably. I will soon put the feeders out.

@Shirley_Freeman Not manual focus, just manual exposure. I have used manual focus on birds in really ugly focusing situations and with the focus peaking feature in mirrorless cameras it works ok if they’re not moving much.

My goof, Dennis. I thought that would be very difficult to do on a fast moving bird like the Hummingbird, but wanted to learn a new trick if there was one. Sorry about that. Thanks for getting back with me.