Anna's Hummingbird

We had a pretty nice day today and I put up a ladder within range of this guy’s favorite Hawthorn tree to see if he’d cooperate. I got a lot of images with him buried in the branches and near field out of focus branches across one part or another of his anatomy, but he finally landed up in the tippy top of the tree and gave me time for quite a few shots. I’d put a flash on the Sony yesterday and decided to see how it would affect the images even in the sun. It worked out fairly well as it tends to bring out the gorget a bit even when the sun’s not right. There was another male in the area, so almost all the poses show him in display condition with the feathers puffed out.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I didn’t do much except a bit of microcontrast enhancement on the bird and some exposure/saturation adjustments.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, FE200-600 at 600 mm, Godox TT685 flash at -2.7ev, hand held from 8’ orchard ladder, f/8 1/1000, iso 500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4472x3088. Taken today at 1:02 pm under sunny skies (our latitude is a bit over 46 degrees north so the sun is always fairly low this time of year).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Needs to be seen large to fully appreciate the excellent detail. Glad to see someone has sun; been socked in with fog the last few days in the Willamette Valley.

Hi Dennis
You have to love Hummingbirds, these little guys make a statement, here I am and this is my territory.
The detail , coloring and eye contact are spot on. Thank you for all you work on this photograph.
Peter

Wonderful pose, detail and lighting! Looks like he is squinting at you with some disdain, pondering if you are worth attacking.

Excellent job in capturing that attitude. Good thing they are small. Nice pose and lots of detail.

Once again nice detail and color in this Hummer. Little too centered for my taste but still not bad.