Annas Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I always try to get birds in flight rather than perching. I have a resident Costa who rules the roost. I guess he was out when she came by. I did crop this and rotated the angle of the branch so it was more diagonal.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)Canon 7D ll, Canon 400mm 5.6f, 12mm extension tube, ISO 1000, 1/2500sec, f/8.0, free hand.
LR C
Any comments are appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Charlie, I like the composition with the diagonal of the stem and the subject. The wing position is quite nice. The bird’s body seem rather soft (large crop?) and I would like to see more of the eye with a catchlight. Still, this is a nice behavioral capture showing feeding behavior.

My thoughts were pretty much the same as Allen Sparks’s, still, a nice capture of the hummer feeding.

Thanks. It was about a 50% crop. I tried to enhance the iris but, no better result. I did see how you could add a small white spot with PS to make it look like a catch light. Haven’t gone there.

Hi Charlie
I have spent many hour trying to photograph Hummingbirds and I think you did a go job. Their a fun bird to watch.
Pete

[I like the composition and the flower is beautiful, Charlie. It does look as if the focus was actually on the terminal bud cluster of the flower stem, rather than the hummingbird. The blue through the wings is really cool looking.

I am reposting the same bird about 3 shots later. I think the focus is better on the bird and actually has a catchlight.
Thanks again.

1 Like

This is much better, Charlie. The detail in the hummingbird looks excellent here and I like the wing position.

Thanks. I should have done this one first .Actually, I like being able to just see the stem through the wing.