Anna's Hummingbird #2 & Repost

From the same session as my last post. This was when he was down in the hawthorn branches and where I’d positioned the ladder put a lot of out of focus branches between us. I cloned out one that went right in front of his beak and painted over the two that show to subdue them a trifle more. Ordinarily, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with this one but the inflated head with the beak poking out of it was too cool to pass up.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Did the work on the out of focus branches work to minimize their distraction?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, flash at -2.7 ev, hand held from ladder, f/8, 1/1000, iso 500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3456x2616. Taken November 27th at 12:58 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice pose and excellent detail. I think I’d be tempted to try to remove the two oof branches. The one on the right seems to have a purplish-blue band on the left side. The work you’ve gone through to get these hummer shots has paid off nicely.

I’m with Allen on this one with respect to the out of focus branches. Otherwise excellent job in the detail and color.

Thanks for the input, @Allen_Brooks and @David_Schoen. Here’s a repost with the out of focus branches removed and some repair work on the perch where they crossed it. As long as I was playing with it, I went with a tighter crop since the point of the image was to show off the raised feathers on the head.

1 Like

Hi Dennis,
Repost looks good. I would burn the light area on the bottom of the twig where you removed the overlapping OOF branch. Other than that, the hummingbird looks good and has wonderful colors…Jim

Nice job on the reprocessing Dennis. Hummer looks good with another excellent pose.