Another orange ocean sunset

Third in a series of sunsets taken a few days ago during a period of high surf. All three taken within 30 minutes of each other. As usual, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

2 Likes

Lovely series Tony. My very subjective opinion is that the three are much stronger when taken as a whole; nice job on that.

That much empty space is an interesting choice. I think I understand the artistic vision there, but have to say that I really like the dark, almost sinister, feel of the wave action and wouldn’t mind trading a little sky for a little more wave.

Thanks for the compliment, and the suggestion about the sky. It would certainly be another option.

[quote=“Tony_Siciliano, post:1, topic:18630”]
I wouldn’t just wave at this image. It’s great, ominous mood, yet painterly. I like the negative space in the sky. The color of the sky works well with the terrific capture of the waves. Your timing, catching the open area in the center of the waves is super. Great lighting. The back wave almost looks like a volcanic mountain. You freeze the action of the water well, especially in the top wave.

Thanks for the compliments. There was no “timing” involved in catching this wave. I just pointed my camera out to the ocean and fired off shots. I took almost 1000 shots in 45 minutes. The hard part was going through them all. This photo was cropped from a much larger photo. There was so much noise so I used Topaz Denoise first, folled by Topaz AI Sharpen, and finally enlarged the photo using Topaz Gigapixel AI, which did a great job. The crop was inspired by the wood cut prints of the Japanese artist Hokusai who made many versions of this wave: