Another Rufous

This one was taken this morning but I did use a fill flash unlike the one I posted yesterday without a flash. The sun had just broken through the clouds and the light was already harsh. I frequently find that the fill flash helps attenuate some of the characteristics of the harsh light.

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: this picture and the one yesterday with the banding were taken on exactly the same perch but there is no banding at all in the image posted today. Thanks to Keith and Diane for their explanations.

ISO 1600, 400+1.4 X, F5 .6, 2000th, cropped from 50 megapixels to 11.25 megapixels or 22 1/2% of full frame.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I think you’re right about using fill flash, it does help to reduce the harsh shadows. This little one is so energetic…well, aren’t they always? The background looks nice and the wing position good so we look at that tiny body and those feet.

Very good, David. I think I’m going to have to dig out my flash. As you noted, the light is getting harsh as soon as we get sun these days. I like the pose a lot and the perch-to-be in the foreground works well.

Good look at this one, David. I’ll need to try a flash on the next one.

@David_Schoen How much fill flash did you use, David?

I love the decisive-moment here! IQ is wonderful, with great light and detail. I wonder about lightening the darkest areas along the left edge and at the bottom.