Rufous

I’m trying to get close enough and shoot at a low iso- setting to get a head shot for a portrait at high resolution. This Rufus is an infrequent visitor so I don’t have many opportunities. I’m also working on an Anna’s of which there are several who frequent my feeder. This is at iso-400 but I think I can get lower if there’s reasonable light. I still think the head came out quite well but not well enough for a larger image. This was at F5 .6 and it could probably use F6 .3. There may be some blur from motion as it was flying when it was taken.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Yes, it is a close crop with a less than interesting background.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-400, 100-400 at 400 mm, F5 .6, 1250th, handheld, no flash, 12 megapixels out of 61, A7R4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David

Love the background - nice separation. The bird itself is crisp. Fortunate that you were able to get it so sharp - especially with its left wing jutting out towards you

A couple of things that could perhaps improve it - the bird’s head more towards you, thereby making a better connection
Personally I do not mind the R wing being blurred ( you would need a flash to freeze that ) but the Left wing could be spread out more and that would have happened if the bird was flying 30 degrees to its left
This appears to be a 80% crop ? A longer lens then is needed or get closer if possible

Karl:
Thanks for the comment. This is actually 20% of full frame not the other way around. The sensor is 61 megapixels and this is a 12 megapixel image. Since I am trying to get the best quality image at the lowest iso, I have not used my 1.4 X extender which limits me to F8, which would increase the iso. Getting closer is probably an option but as you know, if one gets too close the birds won’t show up.
As you are aware, we as humans have no control over the position in which these birds present themselves and the luck of triggering the shutter at exactly the right time. For me, I enjoyed the light, the clarity of the head of this image, and the image quality for such a large crop and that is why I posted it. And as you say the background works.
I think it is a matter of personal taste with respect to clarity versus blur of the wings when doing Hummingbird photography. I have done five flash setups but I prefer the color dynamics with using natural light and the fill flash occasionally.

1 Like

i like the blurred wing, the rest of the body is tack sharp so it works for me. gorgeous color.

It is a nice shot as is. Sharp with lots of detail in spite of large crop which is a nice testament to the sensor and technique. It is true we can’t control the bird and how they present themselves and hummers are extremely fast moving about, but I agree that if you are lucky to get the bird coming in the close wing would appear back a bit and reveal more of the head area. I think you will get your shot.