Rufous Hummer

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got this sub-adult male Rufous hovering near a feeder on my deck. It was lit and my dark screen door was in shadow. I only occasionally see these beauties. I mostly see Anna’s so I feel fortunate to have snagged this occasional visitor. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, tripod/gimbal head, 1/2500th, f/7.1, ISO 6400, 320mm, cropped to 5568 x 3712, AI Clear

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dave, an excellent image with the perfect natural BG to enhance the viewing here. The stop action, the slight wing blur, and tiny catch light in the eye makes it all come together so nicely…:+1:

btw: I just refilled my two very active hummer feeders again yesterday…:clown_face:

This is a nice one Dave! You did a good job of freezing this little guy. Lighting is wonderful and pose typical for Hummingbirds, at least the Ruby Throated variety we have in Kentucky.

Normally, I prefer a Hummingbird with something else in the frame, flower, etc. But this works fine as is!

Jim

Dave, this is a beauty! Excellent detail and you got the wings in a very pleasing pose.
The slight wing blur is a nice addition.
You were already at a high SS and ISO , so about the only way you could have frozen the wings further is with a multi-flash set-up which is fun to use, but difficult to set up.
Very fine image here!
Sandy

This is nice… nice detail, nice light and nice BG.
I might run some NR not the BG.

Very nice, Dave. I have the reverse issue. Lot’s of Rufous and very few Anna’s. We’ve had one since January, but it’s been very skittish, so I don’t have anything worth posting. I really like the way this works against the dark background. You have good detail in the hummer and the angle is nice. I like just the suggestion of wing blur you got here. One note in case you don’t do much hummingbird photography. I’ve found that I don’t need a really high shutter speed and I can therefore keep the iso down. You can’t really stop the wings completely without flash and the body stays remarkably still (except the tail). I accidentally shot one at 1/50 sec and the head was still tack sharp even though it was hovering-they have amazing control. Of course, your shutter speed all depends on how much blur you like in the wings and I happen to like a fair amount.

Good job on the color in detail. Even 1/2500 of a second you got some wing blur. The processing is well done for iso 6400.

Beautiful shot of this Rufous! We only get Ruby-throats in my area so it is a treat to see these other species. Nice pose, light, sharpness, colors, and background. A pleasing amount of wing blur. A fine image indeed.

Wonderful detail and excellent IQ for the relatively high ISO. Nice work with both the composition and post.

I echo the above–very nice. IQ held up well for such a high ISO. A very slight head turn towards us could take this image up one notch. I was also going to make the same comment as Dennis. I am generally unconcerned with my shutter speed when shooting hummers unless there is a ton of light. I might try and freeze the wings then. Otherwise, I choose an ISO I am comfortable with and adjust from there.