Rufous Hummingbird

I’m not sure if this is an immature or a female. We’re having a major outbreak of both this species and the Anna’s right now and I was out a couple of days ago in the morning and decided to try to catch some of the action as they backed away from the feeders. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any good interaction-they’re incredibly fast. I did like the wing position and angle in this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

How does the crop work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 708 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/1600, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6416x4738. Just minor tweaks in processing. Taken June 12th at 8:09 AM.

5 Likes

This is so beautiful! I love the clean, simple background and how the colors complement the hummer so nicely! Very lovely image, and well composed!

Wonderful light on this stop action in flight hummer, Dennis… :+1:

Excellent detail and exposure, Dennis and, as Vanessa noted, the bg colors compliment the bird nicely. A fine capture.

WOW! I love it! Perfect pose and superb matching BG colors! Wonderful detail without a complicated 3-4 flash setup.

I can’t help with the ID – we get them passing thru for about a day, on their way to your place.

Simple and clean and beautiful. What a great shot!

HI Dennis
I have to hand it to you, following Hummingbirds on a tripod at 708 mm, is no simple task. Great catch. The color and detail are very nice.
Peter

Dennis, the clarity and pose of the hummer against the fine clean background look great. I have to laugh at myself because my first impression was that the bird was taking off from that transparent branch in the lrc. A careful look cleared that impression up quickly…

Excellent color, detail and composition. The light is wonderful.