Another Male Rufous

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Another image from the shoot yesterday that included my last post of the Rufous. A little more traditional pose. Still happy with the pose, flower comp and colors captured on these little gems.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM-1X, 300mm f/4
1/160, f/16, ISO 400
3 flashes all at 1/16 power.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh good, Keith, you captured him at the flower feeding. I think I like this one the best because of that. The other shot looked somewhat like you missed “the shot” because he was flying off from the flower. Both are great shots (far better than I have ever got of a hummer).

Hi Keith, very nice pose you captured here and I like the flower showing so much of the stem, etc. Nice colors. I do notice some noise in the lower part of the bird in the larger version.
Question: Is the black in the background shadows from a set up? I think the BG is effective either way - just wondering. Nice image!

@Allen_Sparks Yes, the background is part of the setup. Not sure what you’re seeing as black, dark green, but not black.

I also prefer this image over the original Rufous post perhaps for the same reasons as Shirley. This is a well balanced image with excellent detail, light balance, and appealing plant diagonal. The dark areas on the right side almost appear black on my monitor but I am not seeing any noise as Allen did.

Another beautiful hummingbird image, Keith. Just personal taste, but i think a little lighter green on the right hand side of the image would work a bit better. This dark shade seems to make the flower stand out a bit unnaturally to my eye.

Sweet feeding pose. Excellent look at the iridescence around the throat. The flower and stem are interesting secondary subjects.

Beautiful image. Thanks for sharing it.