Rufous Hummingbird

This guy kept coming back to the same perch and rested quietly for awhile, so taking his photo wasn’t too tough.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7Dii; Sigma 150-600 at 500 mm; 1/125@f6.3, ISO 100

2 Likes

A lovely little rufous. These guys are so territorial that coming back to a perch doesn’t surprise me much. Probably defending some turf. I like most of the image. I think a different crop would benefit the image with less on top and maybe more on the bottom. There is also remnants at the tail of the background being darkened, or maybe the bird being lightened. Some light areas between the last tail feathers. Here’s a slightly different crop version for consideration. (oh, and the tail issue addressed),

1 Like

What a great little bird, Allen, which you’ve caught in a very attractive pose. The colour of the background complements it so well too. I think Keith’s cropping suggestion gives the bird more presence, but it’s a lovely shot anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, Keith for taking the time to work on my image. As Mike said, your crop does give the hummer more presence. Thanks for catching the tail feather issue- a good reminder for me to be more evaluative of the changes I make.

Nice job, Allen. I like the perch and pose. I agree that the composition could stand a touch of tweaking.

Hi,

I’m looking for one of these at my feeders right now, but it was good to see this one caught by your camera. The new crop and other adjustments that @Keith_Bauer made work well. I think that having him perch low so that you get a nice green BG is nice as well. Well done…Jim