Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We saw our first hummingbird of the year today. He is approaching the feeder in this shot. Think I’ll break out my flash set up and honeysuckle while I still have some flowers. This one was in natural light.

Specific Feedback

It always seems to be a challenge to get a decent amount of red showing on the gorget. This is about the best I got today. Just looking for any feedback on the pose, composition, technical, etc.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 2500, f7.1, 1/8000s

1 Like

A sweet hummingbird shot, Allen. I’m a bit surprised that even 1/8000 didn’t quite freeze the wings and tail tip-amazing how fast these things are beating those wings. Unfortunately, without flash they almost have to be head on to get a really great gorget, but this works fine for me. The background is nice and I have a lot of isolated hummingbirds like this, but find that I prefer some other element in the frame as well-just personal taste. I know you’ll have that when you get your flash setup going.

PS. We keep one species all winter in small quantity, but the migrants arrived in force yesterday and we’re up to three feeders now and will probably have to refill them twice a day. Now if the rain would just let up!

Hi Allen,

To me this is incredible!
The level of detail is very appealing and the colors are great!

Nothing to suggest and no nitpicks from me at all, I’m simply impressed. :slight_smile:

It is amazing how even 1/8000s doesn’t freeze the wing action on these very small hover birds (comparing them to hoverflies).
I’m looking forward to seeing what you are able to capture using the flash setup.

I don’t have any experience with high speed flash setups for freezing fast moving wings but I’m trying to learn more about it.

Amazing image, Allen :slight_smile:

What a pretty boy. Great detail and wing position. They are so zippy that the full red color is really hard to catch. I’ve only ever done it once. Maybe twice. Even without it this is a terrific shot. I’d be happy to have it in my catalog!

Excellent detail and color, nice pose, and good background. As Dennis said, in the Northwest, we have Anna’s all year, but the Rufous hummers have just started showing up and if only the rain would stop-I can see the grass growing.

Very nice, Allen. Wonderful details of the hummer and a nice BG. I had put the feeder out a week ago. I saw our first one a few days ago. I would love to get a shot like this! Nice.

Most all the comments have been made so I’ll just say really nice shot. Our hummers should show up here around the end of the week. Hope I can get some shots as good as this!