Ruby-throated Hummer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I tried my hummingbird set up again in late June. This time I used a darker background to see what difference it made. It came out a little more varied than the lighter one I used before. Think I’ll take a suggestion given here and try to shoot a BG print of the full bloomed out vine with multiple flowers but that will have to wait until next year as the peak bloom is in April/May.
I desaturated the flowers slightly.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, tripod, 5 speedlites @ 1/8 power
ISO 400, f20, 1/250s

1 Like

OMG this is so excellent!! Look at that little boy reach for it. And you got a tail fan!! So jealous. It mirrors the flower fan really well and I like that repeating pattern. The bg is a bit less flat, but still low key enough to set off the drama well. I have a sense of the bird being tiny, too. The flowers he’s on are so much bigger and we can imagine the whole plant being huge and he being so small. I really like that aspect of this. And the feet.

1 Like

This is excellent, Allen. The position you caught him in is really nice.

1 Like

I shoot hummingbirds, where I live, in August, as they make their way back to the south. Its a challenge with their speed and darting around and fighting. You’ve captured this guys perfectly! I think it is ok with the flower as is. Its a personal choice. It keeps your eye on the main subject, the bird. Well done!

1 Like

This is wonderful, Allen. Excellent work. I might move the image a bit right in the frame, but that’s probably just me. I love the position of the hummer with respect to the flower head and the way you caught him in a vertical posture.

1 Like

The verticality is what caught my attention. That and everything top to bottom appears to be in sharp focus. Well done.

1 Like

YES !!! No words needed !!! You really captured everything !!! Beautiful Photography.

1 Like