Rufous Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The male Rufous is certainly the most aggressive of the hummingbirds we have in our part of the world. This male chased nearly every other hummer off of my flower this morning, but did at least give me a cool frame with an unexpected pose.

Hope you aren’t getting tired of my hummingbird images. I’m sure I’ll be out shooting them for another month or so.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM-1X
300mm f/4
1/160 @ f/16, ISO 400
3 flash setup all at 1/16
Cropped from an original that was vertical but included more of the flower at the bottom.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I really like the position he is in, and the details you were able to capture in his feathers, Keith. Wonderful colors.

Love this shot! The male Rufous is way up at the top of my list of local hummers to shoot. Unfortunately they only are seen here brief couple of times a year… passing thru. Their very cool colors and magnificent tail feathers are quite the ticket and you nailed all that along with the nice flower. Well done!

A very cool himmingbird image, Keith. I love the flared tail and the angle. Maybe a touch more room at the top?