Female Rufous Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

A slightly different lighting configuration this morning just to soften a few things that I wanted to work on.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

One of my typical outdoor portraits of a hummingbird. This lovely female rufous came to my flower and I managed to get a nice wing position for this frame. 3 flashes on the bird, one flash on the background, 2 @ 1/16, 2 @ 1/32 power. Radio triggers for the flashes.

Olympus EM1-X, 300mm f/4
1/200, f/16, ISO 250

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Great backdrop. Subject really pops. I think the colors in that backdrop work really well. Caught my eye for sure. Makes it stand out from other similar photos I’ve seen and even shot.

A very pretty frame. Details on the bird are beautiful. The flower is just the right size, and I love that you left a touch of room beneath that leaf in the bottom right of the frame. BG is also very complimentary. Only real critique is that the BG is pretty noisy.

This is beautiful, Keith! Exceptional detail, color and exposure plus very good choice of composition. You’re really getting good at this flash photography and you definitely nailed it on this one! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Very nice! The colors of the BG work so well with the bird and the composition with the flower is stunning! I love how a flash setup can capture detail so pleasingly.