Another little hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This lovely little Black Chinned Female came to my outdoor studio for her portrait this morning. Experimenting with slightly different lighting setups to produce a bit more depth and shadows.

3 flashes on the hummer, one on the distant OOF print background.

Olympus EM1-X, 40-150 f/2.8 with 2x converter
250mm
1/250, f/14, ISO 320

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Great wing position and composition, Keith. In general, I like this lighting setup, except for the really dark area under the tail that gives kind of a mid-day look to it.

She’s a beauty Keith. I love the soft background contrasting with the detailed bird and blossom. I’ve never tried flash, but one day I’ll try. Well done!

Terrific detail and composition. Flash worked really nicely.

Another superb flash photo, Keith! I particularly like the detail in the underside of the near wing on this one! That level of feather detail is something you rarely get to see on hummingbird photos. I agree with Dennis that it is somewhat contrasty so it might help to bring up the lower end of the curve a little bit.