Female Black Chinned Hummingibird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The hummingbirds are back in enough numbers now at my house to warrant setting my multi flash setup for some hummingbird photography. I never seem to get enough of these amazing little creatures. I’ll probably be posting a few more as the summer wears on and the numbers increase here.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

3 flashes, 1/16 power
Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4
1/200 @ f/14, ISO 320 - mostly meaningless except to insure a black frame so 100% of the exposure is from the flash units
Cropped from a horizontal frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Keith, pure excellence for me on this one here. No thoughts for additional comments from POV other then it works wonderfully from my perspective…:+1::+1:

Oh wow, Keith, I don’t think it can get any better than this! From the flowers, to the hummer, to the sweet background, everything is looking great. I love the hummers too. They are just so much fun to watch. I haven’t tried the multi-flash setup on them. I’m sure that takes a lot of trial and error before you get it right.

This is just amazing, Keith. I love that pink flower against the green background. The wings position is superb, too. The composition is spot on.

Another gorgeous multi-flash hummingbird image, Keith. You really have the flash positions dialed in at your setup.