Ant patrol

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Six-spotted tiger beetle devours an ant on my driveway. It is so hard to catch these guys when they pounce, but they will sit still as they dismember and eat their prey. This one was cooperative for those few seconds. You can see the unfortunate ant’s severed abdomen directly in front with a leg or two, and some more legs in the beetle’s jaws. Looks to be a male beetle since the labrum is white. These guys love my driveway when it’s hot and sunny and the ants are plentiful. Given just how many ants, I wish there were a few dozen more of these guys racing around. They are about 2 cm IRL, quite slender and metallic green - very bright and reflective. Skittish, too, since whenever I walk toward one it will fly, but if I stand still and wait, they come quite close.

Specific Feedback

The light was darn harsh. Too much or does it add to the menace? I decided on a centered crop on purpose since I felt the subject worked well in that aspect.

Technical Details

Handheld

You have to overexpose a lot for these guys on my light driveway, but then I added a bit of exposure in Lr along with cooling the wb and biggish crop. Also boosted greens in the Calibration panel, but lowered yellows and oranges in the HSL. Tested Lr sharpening v. Topaz and Topaz Sharpen AI did a better job so I then put a lightish vignette in the TIF and also did some lightening of the jaws and ant victim with a brush tool.

1 Like

Hi Kris, focus is spot on with the head nice and sharp. The rendition of the green looks good to me. Nice behavioral capture with the feeding going on. Composition and crop look good to me. Well done.

Kris, I like the “bug’s eye view” of this little beetle and his lunch. It is sharp where it needs to be. You really managed the harsh light well. The face on look of him and his lovely green colors that look great in the sunlight. Really nice. I like the composition too.

I’ve chased a Swedish version of these on occasion and so far they have always eluded me so great job in catching him (?) in action. As those before me have said excellent sharpness, good control of light, an interesting perspective and behavior.

If it were my shot I think I would try to crop in a bit tighter if I had the megapixels to spare, but regardless a stellar job!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Allen_Sparks & @Ingemar_Holmkvist - glad the eating behavior doesn’t gross you out! Sometimes these guys are like buzzsaws going through the ants. The green is really intense and reflective so it’s tough to know how much is too much, so thanks for the head-check!

1 Like

Love the perspective and detail you’ve gotten in this fellow, Kris. Nicely seen, captured and . . . your processing abilities are amazing!

Hi Kris,
that looks amazing. There seems to be a lot going on in your driveway. :slight_smile:
And the 100-400 is a good tool for photographing the insects without getting too close to them.

Colors and tonal detail look excellent, to me. Very interesting head-on view. I love the legs hanging out of its mouth and the remains of the ant – saving the best for last?

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Jens_Ober & @Diane_Miller - these guys are fun to watch for sure, but quick and a little hard to catch if you just rush in, but they will come close if you sit still. The driveway is a hot spot of activity, that’s for sure. I’m glad the long lens focuses as close as it does. Maybe when I get back home the dragonflies will still be emerging.

1 Like