Six-spotted tiger beetle

Definitely male and definitely a six-spotted this time. And with lunch.

The sun came out and so did these guys. I saw two, maybe three individuals and I saw them fly. They’re really easy to scare so I had to sneak up on them quietly. I was about 4 feet away (the closest my 100-400 will focus there-abouts) and this is a big crop, but damn that mouth! It caught an ant really quickly and (of course) was facing away. I have one shot where only the jaws and ant’s head are clear from the back. Help me!! Then it turned and I got this. Pretty soon the ant was gone and it was off after more.

I was wrong about the size before - they’re under an inch - more like 2 cm.

Specific Feedback Requested

I can shoot more if you have suggestions. If the sun stays out that is.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 100-400mm f/4-6.3 lens @ 400mm (800mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/500 sec | ISO 200
Handheld - overexposed by 1 stop

Lr processed for a little wb correction, a big crop, clarity & contrast. Brush to up clarity & texture in just the bug, radial filter to bring the exposure down on the cement. Ps for some smart sharpen just to experiment.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Wow, wow, wow, Kris. Not only face on, and down to his level, but you caught him eating lunch. What a great shot.

Thanks Shirley. After the rain, they were pretty active and hungry. I wanted to get lower, but too low doesn’t show the back well so I just squatted down in the lawn.

Yaaaay! You got a head on, eye contact capture! It’s awesome! I would crop it more if it were mine! The details are still there closer up. That’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Kris: Viewed large this is a pretty fearsome looking critter! Love the color, detail and your POV. Top notch shot. >=))>

Excellent shot Kris. Everything in focus that needs to be plus bonus ant clamped in those jaws. Really good.

Amazing Kris. I would have been nervous just taking the shot. The details in this subject are excellent and the DOF worked out very well with only the ground focused around the subject.

Thanks everyone. These guys look dangerous, but only if you’re an ant or a spider. They don’t bite humans and are quite afraid of anything large moving in their direction. I love watching them for their beauty and for their hunting prowess.

1 Like

Great portrait of the sst beetle. Impressive mandibles. You could try a pano, but I can imagine you don’t want to crop any further. Using extension tubes you may be able to get closer (move like a tree to avoid scaring off the beetle).

Thanks Igor. I don’t mind cropping more. It can take it. Here’s a 16:10 crop -